Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Remote Hire Relationship

Talentzoo.com had an excellent article outlining Simple Strategies for Managing the Remote Hire Relationship. I was all ready to write a blog post about how we do this here at Honest Conversation.com. But I don't need to tell (and you don't have to listen) something akin to the Boy Scout Oath about doing this for you. You know what I mean... "On my honor, I will do my best, etc." Scouting is great (I once won a Pinewood Derby), but there's a better way to hire people - permanent or temporary.

Meghan Paul Molino used the following points to Managing the Remote Hire.
1. Decide Who You Need.
2. Be Strategic Where You Look.
3. Get to Know Your Prospective Hires.
4. Set Up Expectations In Advance.
5. Communicate Regularly.
6. Let the Relationship Evolve.

Read the article for her tactics - they are excellent.

I would add the following to her thoughts.

1. I keep one Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube account for both work and home. Yes, if you don't mind the occasional post about the Philadelphia Phillies or tremendous love of pizza or cheesesteaks, then I'm all the more willing to work with you in the long term.

2. Skype is awesome. I can screen share, capture, converse in real time. It's a remote hire's best friend.

3. Like Meghan mentioned, Coroflop and Krop are great for graphic design. I love Elance and ODesk for web design, social media, and technical writing. They're nice because the provider has to be proven and somewhat serious in applying for jobs. If the hire wants a W9, US only, and a full portfolio of work, I better have it and I better not cheat. These tools manage expectations and can set up work in milestone-based objectives.

I expect clients to not only consider my bids, but to check my work, Google me, and get to know me as a person.

Finally, as a remote hire, I don't go for the "big kill" anymore. Things change and life moves faster than ever. You never really know what the client will need tomorrow or three months from now. Many thanks to Meghan (I have no idea who she is...) for writing a comprehensive article.

No comments:

Post a Comment